Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Vital Movement

I'm having fun, and watch my nutrient levels like a hawk.  I feel obligated to do this because these vegetables are expensive.

The one thing the aquaponic experience has done for me is give me a much greater appreciation for the food I buy at the grocery store.  While I'm delighted to eat a fresh tomato even if a worm has put a small hole in it; I would not buy that same produce at the store.

I think about it every time I shop at Costco.  Enormous quantities of perfect produce everyday.  People are always bad mouthing current farming practices, but when it comes down to it, the commercial production of food is a lot more difficult than most people realize.

Aquaponics has been around for a long time, but it seems that it's only now beginning to catch on.  With droughts and population explosion I feel that our experimentation, and sharing of information is contributing to a vital movement toward small household food production which will help carry many of us through rough times.  Some of us may go on to create commercial systems which will take agriculture back to a less destructive method once we understand the problems we are likely to face, but we are all making a collective difference.

Aquaponics is not without fault as it does tend to influence the genetic makeup of the fish we are breeding.  But it may also help to relieve the stress of over fishing.

So I look at my $3000.00 tomato, and know that it's not about that tomato, but a contribution to the greater good, and enjoyment of creating my own food.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us up to date! I read your blog regularly. Agree on cost/benefit aspect...we belong to a local CSA that is quite a bit more expensive than getting veggies from the grocery store. Well worth the extra money, and supports the local economy.

    Best,

    Ken

    ReplyDelete