Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Building an 800 Gallon Tank

I learned that deck screws are not strong enough to hold the bottom plate. I ended up using 5/16 galvanized lag bolts.
Folding the liner is a lot harder than it looks. Here's a link that may help
 http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com/support/trough-videos/
Building an 800 Gallon Tank

Rigid Insulation was laid down first

Lessons learned.  This tank lasted about 2 years.  First mistake was not wrapping the liner down over the outside.  Spilled water got between the liner and the wood.  The sides rotted out.
There were many times I forgot to turn the water off while filling the tank.  I flooded my shop several times and the moisture under the tank rotted the tank.   If you build a wood tank take every precaution to keep the wood dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment